Let’s start here: None of this is actually official news as CrossFit HQ has made no announcements as of yet. But…where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire (think that applies here.)
Multiple news site, athletes, and sources are now reporting the following changes coming to the 2019 CrossFit Games season:
1. There will be no Regionals.
2. Their will be two Opens, one in February & one in October.
3. Athletes may qualify for the Games one of two ways:
- Based on Open results. One athlete will qualify from each of the 162 countries that CrossFit has affiliates.
- Based on the results of selected CrossFit sanctioned events happening throughout the year (the possible list includes Wodapalooza & Dubai Fitness Championships).
If you’re wondering why?
“The plan is to restructure the company (and) de-emphasize the Games . . . change the very structure of the Games to something that’s more sustainable and fundamentally globalize the Games. This is the path to 150,000 affiliates and we’re excited about it,” Greg Glassman told The Morning Chalk.
We’ll keep you updated as we hear more!
“Photo courtesy of CrossFit Inc.”